About us / Sobre Nós


The history of the Immaculate Conception in Point Douglas goes back to the 1980’s when pioneer Archbishop A. Taché established the parish on December 8, 1882. Up until then there was only one parish west of the Red River, St. Mary’s.

The first pastor of Immaculate was Father Lebret, O. M. I. He moved to Saskatchewan a year later and was replaced by a newly ordained priest from Montreal, Father Cherrier, who later became a Monsignor. He served the parish for over 40 years.  

In 1883 the Holy Name Sisters were asked to run the school which started with 75 students and ran until June of 1963.  In 1985 a beautiful church was built. The interior design and decoration were by Edmond Meloche, a Montreal artist.

Over the years the Immaculate Conception Parish served the needs of many new Canadians who arrived from faraway lands, such as, among others, France, Germany, Poland, Croatia, Slovakia, and who settled in the north end of the city. In 1970, when Manitoba celebrated her first Centennial, Immaculate Conception was the home of the Croatian Catholic congregation established in 1968 and father James Fitzgerald was the pastor. 

In the morning of March 5, 1978 the church building was destroyed by fire. Shortly thereafter the Archdiocese of Winnipeg and the Portuguese Catholic Community, under the leadership of Father Pedro Fernandes, later a Monsignor, began plans to rebuild the temple and make Immaculate Conception the home church for the large number of Portuguese families, who started settling in Winnipeg in the mid 1950’s.

A modern and spacious temple rose on the site of the original one over a large hall, which was named after Cardinal Flahiff, a great supporter of the plan. The facilities were designed by the renowned Architect Gustavo da Roza. The inauguration took place on December 8, 1980.

On August 5, 1992 Father Maurice Commeault, now Monsignor, became pastor of Immaculate upon the retirement of Monsignor Fernandes, who passed in August of 2000. During three years the late Father Ken MacDonald also worked at Immaculate mainly in the areas of finance and religious education.

Since 1983 several Portuguese speaking priests have also served the parish: Father António J. Cruz, Father João J. Cabral, Father Américo G. Rodrigues, Father Osvaldo Franklin, Father José F. Cabral, Father José Eduardo Medeiros, Father Wladimir Porreca and, since January of 2012, Father André Luiz de Paula Lico, the current pastor - Father André Luiz de Paula Lico.  

Today many members of the Filipino community are part of the parish, which continues to provide services in Portuguese as well as in English. A significant number of children attend Sunday School.

In addition to the Festivity in honor of the Immaculate Conception every year thousands of faithful participate in the celebrations and processions in honor of our Lady of Fatima and of  Santo Cristo, the Holy Christ.

The Immaculate Conception Parish, located in the area where the first mass was celebrated on the west side of the Red River, continues its mission of welcoming and serving the catholic members of the local community, as well as those who come from all over the city to worship in their native language. 



A história da paróquia da Imaculada Conceição, em Point Douglas começou  em 1980, quando o pioneiro Arcebispo A. Tache estabeleceu a paróquia em 08 de dezembro de 1882. Até então só havia uma paróquia ao oeste do Rio Vermelho, a paróquia de Saint Mary.

O primeiro pároco da Imaculada foi o Padre Lebret O.M.I. Um ano depois ele mudou-se para Saskatchewan e foi substituído por um padre recém-ordenado de Montreal, Padre Cherrier, que mais tarde tornou-se um Monsenhor. Ele serviu a paróquia por mais de 40 anos.

Em 1883 as Irmãs do Santíssimo Nome foram convidadas para dirigir a escola que começou com 75 alunos e funcionou até junho de 1963. Em 1985, uma bela igreja foi construída. O design de interiores e decoração foram feitas por Edmond Meloche, um artista de Montreal.

Ao longo dos anos, a Paróquia da Imaculada Conceição serviu a muitos canadenses e outras pessoas que imigravam de terras distantes, tais como, entre outros, França, Alemanha, Polônia, Croácia, Eslováquia, e que se instalaram no extremo norte da cidade. Em 1970, quando a província de Manitoba comemorava seu primeiro centenário, a igreja da Imaculada Conceição foi a paróquia da congregação católica croata estabelecida em 1968 e o Padre James Fitzgerald era o pároco.

Na manhã de 05 de março de 1978 a construção da igreja foi destruída por um incêndio. Pouco depois, a Arquidiocese de Winnipeg e a Comunidade Católica Portuguesa, sob a liderança do Padre Pedro Fernandes, mais tarde, um Monsenhor, começaram os planos para reconstruir a igreja e fazer da Imaculada Conceição a paróquia para o grande número de famílias portuguesas, que começaram a se estabelecer em Winnipeg em meados da década de 1950.

Uma igreja moderna e espaçosa foi erguida no local da igreja original ao longo de um grande salão, que foi nomeado em homenagem ao Cardeal Flahiff, um grande apoiante do plano. As instalações foram projetadas pelo renomado arquiteto Gustavo da Roza. A inauguração ocorreu em 08 de dezembro de 1980.

Em 05 de agosto de 1992 Padre Maurice Commeault, agora Monsenhor, tornou-se o pároco da Imaculada após a aposentadoria do Monsenhor Fernandes, que faleceu em agosto de 2000. Durante três anos, o falecido Padre Ken MacDonald também trabalhou na paróquia da Imaculada principalmente nas áreas de finanças e educação religiosa.

Desde 1983, vários padres de língua portuguesa, também serviram a paróquia: Padre António J. Cruz, o Padre João J. Cabral, Padre Américo G. Rodrigues, Padre Osvaldo Franklin, o Padre José F. Cabral, o Padre José Eduardo Medeiros, o Padre Wladimir Porreca e, desde janeiro de 2012, o pároco atual - Padre André Luiz de Paula Lico.

Hoje muitos membros da comunidade filipina fazem parte da paróquia, que continua a prestar serviços em Português, bem como em Inglês. Um número significativo de crianças freqüentam as aulas de catecismo aos domingos.

Além da Festa em honra da Imaculada Conceição, a cada ano milhares de fiéis participam das celebrações e procissões em honra de Nossa Senhora de Fátima e do Senhor Santo Cristo.

A Paróquia da Imaculada Conceição, localizada na área onde a primeira missa foi celebrada no lado oeste do Rio Vermelho, continua a sua missão de acolher e servir os membros católicos da comunidade local, bem como aqueles que vêm de toda a cidade para a celebração em sua língua nativa.